CUYABENO RAIN FOREST ADVENTURE 5D
One of the best ways to explore the rainforest is by canoe; in this way, you will have the opportunity of seeing this wet and wild green world in a close-up and highly rewarding way.
Day 1: Quito – Lago Agrio – Rio Cuyabeno – Laguna Grande – Cuyabeno Lodge.
Fly or drive over the Andes to the frontier oil town of Lago Agrio, private transportation to the “Cuyabeno Bridge” where you will meet your guide and have lunch in a local restaurant. Motorized canoe transportation along the Cuyabeno River to Laguna Grande, location of the Lodge. During this journey of approx. 2 hours, you will be able to observe the richness of the wildlife. After settling into your room at the Lodge, exploring a tour of the lagoon to observe animals, take a swim in the lake and enjoy the sunset from the canoe.
After breakfast, walk through the “terra firma forest” with your naturalist guide who will explain the wildlife, medicinal forest plants, the forest ecosystem, and indigenous life. After lunch, a siesta, followed by a trip in a dugout canoe to the flooded parts of the Forest with macrolobium trees covered with abundant epiphytes to spot monkeys and birds. After dinner, night walk-in primary forest to look for insects and observe nocturnal flora wildlife.
After breakfast, you will follow the Cuyabeno River downstream to reach the Siona Indigenous Village. There you will observe and participate in how they cook the typical “casabe”. Your guide will give you some explanations about their way of life. Return to the Lodge for lunch. Late afternoon a siesta and a refreshing swim in the Laguna Grande. In the evening, after dinner, night excursion by canoe to spot caimans, snakes and nocturnal birds.
After having breakfast at the Lodge, you will enjoy a paddling canoe journey to experience the silence of the Lagoon and at the same time the exotic sounds of birds and insects. For the evening, an excursion to discover smaller lagoons or hike along other paths in the Cuyabeno Reserve.
Bird watching early in the morning. You have one last breakfast at the Lodge, afterward journey upstream to the bridge where our vehicle will take you back to Lago Agrio. Return to Quito either by bus or by air. We provide a packed lunch.
Please note: the return time to Lago Agrio on the last day of the tour varies according to the airline’s flight schedule.
* This itinerary is an example, actual activities might vary. Itineraries or activities can be adjusted according to group interests.
- transportation by car/bus from Lago Agrio to the Cuyabeno River
- transportation by motorized canoe to the lodge and during the tour
- bilingual (English/Spanish) guide throughout the tour (max. 11 people per group)
- all meals, starting with lunch, ending with a packed lunch (special meals possible, like vegetarian, vegan, or for allergies)
- Coffee, tea, and water at all times rubber boots and rain ponchos
- accommodation in selected room category
- transportation to/from Lago Agrio not included
- not all rooms have power outlets, you can charge your appliances in the communal areas
- private guide with a private canoe available at additional cost and previous reservation
- French- or German-speaking guide available at additional cost and previous reservation.